Monday, June 27, 2022

Day 18: Santervás to Sahagún


DateJun 26
Today's Distance: 13 miles / 21 km
Route and StatsRoute Video
Total This Camino: 219 miles.
Total All Caminos: 1609 miles
Lodging: Casa Rural Arturo @ $ 45
Total Lodging: $ 445
Buses / Trains:
Total Buses / Trains: $ 48
Food: $ 20
Total Food: $ 320

Meaningful Moment

After 16 days on the Spanish meseta, I once again find myself thinking about the adage that it's not the destination but the journey. 

The journey without a destination seems to be fleeing.

The destination without a journey seems to be just escaping.

And I now begin to think that it's really the journey and the destination.

What changes in my life does that portend?

Random Thought of the Day

47° today for a starting temperature. Unbelievable. 20° colder than when we began this Camino.

And the mountains north of Sahagún look bigger today this morning as we continue north along VP 4013.

Over breakfast it occurred to me how much scarcer stopping places with services are on this kind of Camino. 

I can think of four nights where we could have been without a substantial meal just because the town was either closed up or simply had no bars or restaurants or shops. 

It is a new way to look at the Camino de Santiago as the Madrid route requires more planning than some of the others where you could rely on services once you got to a town.

On the Road / Notable memories


I find the meseta to be challenging because the scenery can be so constant. Seeing the mountains to the north in the distance, provided a distinct visual break from the past couple of weeks. 

Anecdotally I often hear people say it's the meseta's constant unchangingness that makes it so challenging. 

I wonder about the people who find a soothingness in the constancy of the meseta. I wonder what it is they find comforting out here. 





Several days ago I saw a field with one sunflower. On our last today I come across the field with multiple sunflowers. There might be a metaphor there.


Obligatory solitary tree picture


Cranes on church steeples are so common in Spain has to be almost unremarkable.


I liked the blue, white and yellow.


Jackie and Lynn, two women from Australia also doing the Camino Madrid


Castle in Grajas


Deb and I have completed the Camino Madrid. 220 MI across Spain from Madrid to Sahagún.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Camino Madrid Wrapup

Date Jun 30 Total This Camino: 219 miles. Total All Caminos: 1619 miles Total Lodging: $ 530 Buses / Trains $ 20 Total Buses / Trains: $ 125...